10 Things to Do for Fall Family Weekend 2020
Typical Fall Family Weekends in Norman feature a home football game and large-scale gatherings at university events. Not so in 2020. We made a list of 10 things you can do with your family in Norman (in no specific order).
1. Stroll Campus Corner. Whether you need some new shoes and clothes, new Sooner gear, a sweet treat or view of campus and Norman from the Volare Pizzeria rooftop, Campus Corner is something to definitely enjoy with your family.
2. Enjoy a steak dinner at The Ranch Steakhouse. If you have been living off that college-student diet of chicken, pizza and maybe even ramen noodles, then a delicious steak dinner will hit the spot. (Bonus if you hit up The Ranch on Saturday night, the Sooner game will be playing.)
5. Hike at Lake Thunderbird. In East Norman, about 10 miles from the university campus, is Lake Thunderbird, the state's largest urban park. And there is a ready-for-Instagram setting with a piece of public art spelling out love near the Calypso Cove marina.
6. Hear live music. There is live music being played seven nights a week in Norman. Best bets this weekend will be the outdoor stage at Hollywood Corners, Bluebonnet Bar in Downtown Norman and The Deli on Campus Corner.
7. Take a self-guided tour of Norman's public art. Popular pieces include James Garner in Downtown Norman, four former Oklahoma Sooner football coaches and six of the Heisman Trophy winners near the stadium and Indian Grass on East Main Street.
8. Peruse the Fred Jones Jr. Museum of Art. With complimentary admission, take the family to see the largest collection of Impressionist paintings at a public university, including works by Renoir, Degas, Van Gogh and others. The current exhibit is OK/LA.
9. Dine outdoors. New outdoor dining options have been added and enhanced in 2020. Pick out a spot and enjoy an afternoon or evening meal with your family.
10. Most importantly, find a place to watch the Sooner football game with a festive crowd, indoors or outdoors. Boomer!